The Club was formed in 1907 as the Bradford Motor Cycle Club, following an inaugural meeting on the 12th.February 1907 at the Royal Hotel in Darley Street, which forty people attended. The meeting reported in Motor Cycle of the 20th.February, had been initiated by Mr.Bernard Read, who had asked through the columns of Motor Cycle for those interested in motor cycling in the Bradford area, to correspond with him, with a view to forming a club. A Mr.G.E.Vint of Idle who chaired this first meeting was elected President.

Messrs JR Kelly and H.Wheater of the Leeds M.C.C. attended and provided advice on the formation of a club. Bernard Read was elected Secretary, and Mr Bullus Treasurer. The annual subscription was set at 7/6d (37 1/2p).

The provisional Committee included Messrs, A.Hodgson, W.Mitchell, Barraclough, Brook, Lamb, ES Myers and Fowler. The Club rented premises in New Inn block, (now Bradford Law Courts at the bottom Manchester Road, where they had a bar, snooker table and piano. With the outbreak of World War 1, the premises were closed down and the piano and snooker table stored at Mr.T.G.Bullus's home.

Amongst others prominent members Alfred Scott, Percy Shaw (Works Manager P & M Motor Co) Charles Sydney (Then a manager for E.S.Myers, he later established his own business and was responsible for reconstitution of the Club as Bradford and District Motor Club in the 1920s, Clarrie and Tim Wood (TT winner) and J Arnold Smith (Bradford garage proprietor). Felix Scriven (Secretary Scott Motor Cycle Co.) was involved in the administration of the Club and indeed many of the early members worked for the Scott Company including Alec Dovener.

The Club resumed its activities after the Armistice and from 1919 Alec Dovener undertook the secretarial duties. The Club was instrumental in the formation of the Yorkshire Centre, Alec being the Centre's first ever Secretary and W.Haggas at Keighley its first President.

In 1926 the Club HQ was at the Belle Vue Hotel, Manningham Lane and meetings continued to held at this venue until the late fifties. The Club also had a Country HQ at the Golden Lion in Settle.

Members competed with success in the TT securing Club Team Prizes in 1923 and 1924. By 1926 the Wood brothers A.W. and CH were enthusiastic members, T.G.Bullis was Captain and his son one of the sports rising stars.

Bradford Piston Ring Manufacturer's Joe and Geoff Hepworth were Vice Presidents and it was Joe who discovered Hepolite Scar, the venue for Bradford's hill climb after speed events on roads were banned. Eddie and Stan Flintoff were making names for themselves on Sunbeams. Alec Jackson (Winner of the first Lancashire Grand National) was probably the Club's best all rounder, Harry Langman, Tim and Clarrie Wood the leading road racers. Charlie Helm and Allan Jefferies were junior members creating some furore by their riding ability and in Alan's case a lack of consistency (but he did have fun)

In the 1950's the Clubs's meetings were held at The Girlington Hotel. In the early 60's, The Hare and Hounds Toller Lane, then the Kensington Club (once The Girlington Liberal Club) followed by The Victoria at Sandy Lane. Then from the late 70's to the early 90's, The Frizinghall Conservative Club. We then moved to The Bridge Inn Silsden and from 1999 moved to The Punch Bowl Silsden. The Club meet on the 4th Thursday of each month. All are welcome.


to be continued